Monday, June 1, 2009

Happy June 1st

So, I've been collecting the things I want to work on this month. I've bookmarked about a million things - I think I'm shooting a bit too high! :) I can't do that many in one month. But I have started one and picked out a few that I was to do next. This first project is just for myself, not to stick in my gift stash, but the next few will be nice items to hold on to for a gift!

The first thing I'm working on is this: a mini album (this link will take you to the Recipe Card from Creative Cafe with directions for this specific album)

Here's a photo from the Creative Cafe Recipe Card:



If you attended the Scrap Etc. Event in 2008, you know that there was a class where we used this cute spiral notebook to make an album. The ideas that they shared with us were so cute - I was so excited about making my album after seeing theirs. Now I did go home and start it - the 'bones' of the book are done, but sadly, I never finished. The album I made is filled with things I wanted Cole to know - little things, big things - things he may need to read one day. Things I felt and things I wanted to share with him. So it's started, but not done.....

And I recently found a cute little journal at the Dollar Tree - it's similar to the one above, but no dividers, just lined paper. The cover is similar, but without the photo hole in the middle. So, not really the same, but it reminded me of this one. It's also much smaller. I decided to use it to document our summer. We aren't going anywhere big this summer, but I still hope to have a great time at home so I wanted a small place to document it all. Not necessarily all photos - but some places to write about what we did, where we went - just the memories of the summer.

So, my goal is to accomplish a bit more in the spiral notebook to Cole and then get going on the Summer Memories mini journal/album. I've got the cover done on the Summer Memories album, but need to do a bit more today - so I'm going to try to get it all finished up today, photograph it and post it here.

Now, if you are the kind of scrapper that just NEEDS to use the same supplies you can now shop Creative Cafe online here. But if you are like me, on a budget and covered in unused supplies - then just start digging around and see what you have that will work. You can always check out Dollar Tree, Big Lots, places like that - you may find something that you wouldn't normally grab, but with this project in mind - you just might find it's perfect.

I really love the set up of these Spiral Notebooks from Creative Cafe. I have one more I haven't used yet that I've just been hanging on to - waiting for the perfect project. I think the next Scrap Etc Event "Running with Scissors" may be just the thing to use it for.

See, the event is planned for October 9th and 10th, at the civic center downtown. The event coincides with the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. And several of the girls involved in the event are runners already and probably already planned to run in this 5K. They've managed to plan the event to occur the same weekend with 16 weeks between the run and the event registration - what does this mean? It means they'll help you train to get in shape to run a 5K. Now, I'm not a runner at all. I'm not really even a quick walker, but I'm going to try very hard!! Several girls have told me that I can do it - and I'm still not entirely sure, but I did google 'how long is a 5K' and got '3.1 miles' as the answer. So surely, I can at least WALK 3.1 miles, right? I'm going to start working toward this goal ASAP. It's hard for me to go walk around the neighborhood during the day - Cole can't walk as quickly as I would like, and I can't leave him in the house alone. So, I did discover that the track at the local elementary school runs around the playground - so we may be going there a few days a week and Cole can play while I get my exercise on!

So, what does all this randomness mean to you? Well, it means you can do it, too and if it's something you think you can't do - I challenge you to try. I'm going to turn my last spiral notebook into a cute little book to document my progress in my 'training'. I've also been tackling the weight loss issue, too lately. I'm back on my diet. I lost 50 pounds in 2007 and managed to put a few pounds back on - not many but enough to make me a little mad at myself - so I'm back on the Atkin's Diet. This is really the only thing that works for me. I lost 40 of the 50 pounds doing Atkin's so I'm committed to it again. So this journal will be a combination of things for me - documenting my training and my weight loss and how it's going. Lots of us have self considence issues and I'm planning on using this as a place to tackle those issues and work on myself as a whole.

So - I've taken this ONE idea from the above recipe card and the class from the event in 2008, and will be using it three different ways. So, do you want to join me? Do you want to make this fun project? I encourage you to use what you have first - that's what I'm all about right now. But if you want to scope out new stuff, by all means, do it!! If you do play along with me - link it up here in the comments. I'd love to see what you do. I'll get pictures posted later today or in the morning of my projects.

Thanks for checking me out here,
lisa

No comments: